Kanye Omari West doesn’t have a cell phone but he still seems to be able to contribute to not only Hip Hop but other genres like R&B and Pop. His ability to understand how to make people pay attention, dance, sing and remember his music is powerful. West has been busy since his rise in early 2000s, contributing and or influencing alto of our contemporary urban music today.
The College Dropout (2004)
Late Registration (2005) Graduation (2007)
808s & Heartbreak (2008)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)
G.O.O.D. Morning, G.O.O.D. Night (2009) – with Malik Yusef
Watch the Throne (2011) â with Jay-Z
GOOD Music (2012) â with GOOD Music artists
6 studio albums
2 live albums
2 video albums
70 music videos
8 promotional singles
Here are a couple of reasons R&B needs Yeezy:
1. Kanye sings more than some R&B artists. From “College Dropout” through the “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” album, he has won us over because he understands his style and he understands how to put good music together. He may not have a voice like J Hud, Jasmine Sullivan or Beyonce, but it works for us. Don’t front you know he has you open.
2. Yeezy has a style that can’t be denied. Rappers love sneakers that is usually the norm, but Kanye has taken his style to another level by designing the Air Yeezy. (He almost has more of an R&B style.) He was due to release his own clothing line called Past Tell in 2009 but fell back on those plans. Just when you thought he would stop there, he designed a shoe collection with Guiseppe Zanotti that cost $6,000. West had also planned to launch a fashion career, and applied for internships with major European fashion houses. On October 01, 2011, Kanye West premiered his women’s fashion label, DW Kanye West at Paris Fashion Week. He received support from DSquared2 duo Dean and Dan Caten, Olivier Theyskens, Jeremy Scott, Azzedine AlaÃ¯a, and the Olsen twins, who were also in attendance during his show. His first fashion show garnered commentary by The Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, Elleuk.com, The Daily Telegraph, Harper’s Bazaar and many others. Kanye has even been able to get Taylor Swift to wear one of his designed tops in fashion publication Harper’s Bazaar Australia. Kanye will continue to contribute to fashion and style. Hopefully his style will rub off on some R&B artists that has been slacking in that department.
3. Kanye, like artists such as Prince and Ron Isley, have always had the sweetest eye and arm candy by their sides. I think Amber Rose and Kim Kardashian alone show his ability to attract some beautiful women.
4. Kanye West entered the game using soulful samples such as Chaka Khan’s “Through The Fire”. He constantly pays homage to his R&B roots by sampling R&B songs from various artists such as:
â¢ Aretha Franklin
â¢ Michael Jackson
â¢ Chaka Khan
â¢ Mavis Staples
â¢ Bobby Womack
â¢ Lenny Williams
â¢ Gladys Knight & The Pips
â¢ Teddy P.
â¢ Etta James
â¢ Ray Charles
â¢ Curtis Mayfield
â¢ Rick James
â¢ Marvin Gaye
5. He makes R&B tracks hotter and the following songs are proof:
Jamie Fox featuring Kanye West & Twista- Slow Jamz
John Legend â Number feat. Kanye West
John legend – Blame Game feat. Kanye West
Brandy – Talk About Our Love feat. Kanye West
Dwele – Hold On feat. Kanye West
Rell – Love featuring Kanye West and Consequence
Estelle featuring Kanye West – American Boy
Keri Hilson – Knock You Down feat. Kanye West
Walking On The Moon – The Dream feat. Kanye West
Keyshia Cole – I Changed My Mind feat. Kanye West
See Me Now – Beyonce feat. Kanye West & Charlie Wilson
Chris Brown – Down feat. Kanye West
Tony Williams – Another You feat. Kanye West “Yezzy taught me”, says R&B.