On January 2, 2011 Jazmine Sullivan announced via twitter that she would be taking a break from music. It was a sad day for R&B/Soul and music as a whole because Jazmine has proven to be one of the most promising artists of our day. “She is one of the most incredible gifted people that we’ve had in this new wave of singers,” Kelly Price, who admires Jazmine, tells Singersroom. “She’s one the most memorable vocalist in this era of singers.” She stands up for all those girls that may not be the “perfect size” but are as beautiful, intelligent and as skilled as any model covering one of those glossy men magazine covers.
Jazmine jumped on the scene as a solo act and protÃ©gÃ© of rapper Missy in 2008. Since the release of debut album titled ‘Fearless,’ she has never looked back. Men and women alike have fallen in love with her real lyrics and her powerful voice.
She’s been on top of the charts and you don’t have to be a rocket scientist or music industry expert to know why. Her success is simple, she knows how to connect with the people through her lyrics and she has the voice to back it up. With that being said here are five reasons why we might “bust some windows” to get her back.
1. Relatable Lyricist: Jazmine has the uncanny ability to talk about serious issues in a way that men can understand and women can feel. She is the only artist to make a song about breaking a man’s window and make men actually like it. Songs like “Live A Lie,” “In Love With Another Man,” “Lions Tigers & Bears,” “10 Seconds” and “Bust Your Windows” are perfect examples of songs which have relatable stories.
2. Master of the Mix: Jazmine has been able to SUCCESSFULLY mix elements of Reggae, Dub, Pop, Jazz, Neo-Soul and Doo-Wop. “Need You Bad” includes a combination of various genres to create a island like feel to the song.
3. Real Singer/Songwriter: Jazmine is a true artist who has been singing since she was a child in church and has been writing professionally since 2004. She has written for such heavy weights as Jennifer Hudson, Monica & Fantasia.
4. Natural Woman: We always see these photo-shopped women who are one type. We want something real. Curves are a beautiful thing and we hope she continues to embrace those things that make Jazmine who she is. The lyrics from “Stuttering” express the vulnerability of a woman.
5. Perfect Record: Two out two Classic Albums isn’t that bad of a record. In this day and age, finding an artist with two albums you could listen to from front to back is a remarkable record. Jazmine has the spirit of a modern day Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle.
(You do not know how many people you touch by using your gift of voice, Ms. Sullivan.)
Is there anyone out there that has been positively affected by the music of Jazmine Sullivan? Tell us your story…
—— By: DOC