It’s been over a decade since Grammy award-winning artist Lauryn Hill released her critically acclaimed debut album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and we still can’t forget the huge impact that she made on the world of R&B. After taking a long hiatus to focus on raising her children and “a real life,” Hill appeared back on the scene this past summer at Rock the Bells, an annual hip hop concert in New York City. She told FUSE, “I think I’m ready to express myself again,” and also hinted at an upcoming album. Here are five ways we’d love to see Hill make a major R&B comeback:
1) A Reunion of the Fugees – Since Lauryn first arrived on the scene as a member of The Fugees alongside Wyclef Jean and Pras, we’d love to see the group together one more time if only to hear “Killing Me Softly.”
2) Another Duet with D’Angelo – If you remember the soulful ballad “Nothing Even Matters” by Lauryn Hill featuring D’Angelo, then you’re probably itching to hear the two of them to perform together again. And since D’Angelo hasn’t released an album or done any performances since 2000, it would be a long overdue- and much appreciated- song for both artists.
3) Another Acting Role – From the small screen (As the World Turns) to the big-screen (Sister Act 2), Hill showed off her acting skills in the early 90s. She’d be a natural fit for a Broadway musical or movie role.
4) A National Tour – Since Hill rarely does performances especially in the US, a national tour would be one of the best gifts the songstress could give to her fans. It would certainly be one of the most anticipated tours in music history.
5) A Second Appearance on MTV Unplugged– When Lauryn Hill released her MTV Unplugged 2.0 live album in 2002, the album debuted at #3 on the Billboard chart and went platinum within four weeks. Another live acoustic performance and follow-up
album by Hill would be music to our ears.
—— By: Crystal Tate
Since 2005, Singersroom has been the voice of R&B around the world. Connect with us via social media below.