A planned tribute to Michael Jackson, set to place September 26, has been called off. “Numerous stars were just not able to change their schedules to make a live appearance at the Vienna event possible,” Jermaine Jackson revealed during a press conference early Friday. “Now we have eight months to put this monumental show together and not just eight weeks.” News of the postponement, which also shifts the concert’s intended location to London in June of 2010, follows statements from Mary J. Blige, Chris Brown and Natalie Cole dismissing reports that they were confirmed to appear at the tribute. Billed by some as a “farce,” the tribute concert had been billed for weeks as a star-studded final farewell to the late King of Pop on a global scale. Speaking of his intent to work on securing talent for the rescheduled time period, Jermaine Jackson told press “Many artists and performers who I have spoken to personally told me that it would be a great honor to be part of this memorial concert for my late brother.” “However, due to the short time frame it was not possible for many of them to change their scheduleâ¦therefore we decided, after careful consideration, to change the date of the tribute concert to June 2010âjust a few weeks before the first anniversary of his untimely death.” Speaking again after promoter Georg Kindel told questioning media that they had “underestimated” the undertaking, Jermaine Jackson went on to say “It’s not about name dropping”. “The purpose for this show is to give something back to the fansâ¦we have to do this right.”
Since 2005, Singersroom has been the voice of R&B around the world. Connect with us via social media below.