The Associated Press (AP) reports that soul singer Chaka Khan and her sister Yvonne Stevens recently admitted themselves into a rehab center for addictions to painkillers.
Khan told the AP that it was the death of Prince on April 21st that motivated her and her sister to seek help.
“The tragic death of Prince has had us both rethinking and reevaluating our lives and priorities. We knew it was time to take action to save our lives. My sister and I would like to thank everyone for their support, love and prayers.”
Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, an opioid painkiller, which turns out to be the same medication Khan is addicted to. Due to her rehab stint, Khan’s scheduled performances for July, including the California State Fair Monday tonight, are canceled.
Chaka Khana has publicly revealed in the past that she has battled and beat addictions to cocaine and heroin.
We wish Chaka and her sister a speedy, healthy recovery!