R&B veteran El DeBargeâs monumental comeback has been halted and the âSecond Chanceâ singer has checked into rehab to address years of substance abuse. In a statement released by DeBarge, 49, he says he needs to take time to address his issues so he can continue to entertain.
âI hate to disappoint my fans but it is necessary for me to take the time to work on me so that I may continue to share my music and my story with everyone,” says DeBarge.
He has postponed all scheduled performances for Kemâs upcoming Intimacy tour which also includes R&B songstress Ledisi. The trek is set to kick off Thursday, February 17 in Houston, Texas. Musiq Soulchild will replace him on the bill.
El DeBarge has put together a huge comeback after halting his career for 16 years due to substance abuse. After a groundbreaking performance at last yearâs BET Awards (2010), DeBarge released a new album titled âSecond Chance,â and has collaborated with artists like 50 Cent, Faith Evans, Lloyd and more.
We wish El the best!