When you’re a new artist, making it is only half the battle. Most artists want to survive, and eventually thrive in the business. Here are some of the biggest mistakes that they should try to avoid along the road to stardom:
1. Lip synching– Back in the late ’80s, Milli Vanilla ruined their career when one of their songs began to skip during a live MTV performance, and it was later revealed that they were imposters. If you can’t really sing, don’t try to fake it.
2. Not rocking your own style– If you want to stand out from the rest of the pack, having your own unique style is pretty much mandatory. You might even want to hire a stylist. Ever wonder why Rihanna and Nicki Minaj are so popular? Their individuality has a lot to do with it.
3. Beefing with management-When former Destiny’s Child members Letoya Luckett and LaTavia Roberson began to have issues with manager Matthew Knowles, it wasn’t long before they were dismissed from the group. If you’re searching for a new manager, don’t let your current manager know.
4. Beefing with group members– If you’re in a singing group, and you don’t get along with everyone else, it could result in your downfall. In Making the Band 4, fans saw firsthand how Que got into frequent disagreements with his fellow members of Day 26. Later that year, Day 26 asked him to leave the group.
5. Competing with other artists– If you’re a brand new artist, it’s common to be compared to other artists. But don’t try to outshine the person who probably paved the way for your career. Take it as a compliment, and keep it moving.
6. Breaking the law– Rappers like Gucci Mane and T.I. are notorious for catching cases, but a stint in jail could hinder your career. If you know it’s illegal, just don’t do it.
7. Acting like a crazy fan– When Alicia Keys and Jay-Z performed “Empire State of Mind” at the VMAs last year, Lil Mama surprised her own fans and everyone else when she jumped onstage during their performance. You should never find yourself on stage with another artist unless you were invited.
8. Cheating on your significant other– The easiest way to find yourself in tabloids and on blogs (in a not-so-good way) is to get caught cheating. If you aren’t able to commit to one girl or guy, just don’t be in a relationship. You’ll save yourself a lot of heartache and loss of fans if you ever get caught.
9. Disappointing your fan base – Cheating is one way to disappoint your fans, but some artists find a way to do so on a grander scale. Case in point: Chris Brown. It isn’t easy to keep a squeaky-clean image, but it’s important to remember that your fans are likely to watch your every move, professionally or personally. And since they are the reason you’re famous, keep your actions in check.
10. Becoming arrogant– The worst thing a rookie artist can do is let the fame get to his or her head. Humility is one of the best qualities to retain regardless of the magnitude of your success. When Diddy let Aubrey O’Day go from Danity Kane, he stated “I just want to work with the young lady that I signed, not the person that fame has made her.” Regardless of what fame may bring you, remain humble.
—— By: Crystal Tate
Since 2005, Singersroom has been the voice of R&B around the world. Connect with us via social media below.