Kelly Rowland signed a solo deal with Universal Motown Records and we’re rooting for her in a big way. We already know Kelly is “an immensely talented, gracious and beautiful woman” as Univeral Motown’s label president Sylvia Rhone so eloquently put it. But we also know that Kelly hasn’t had the best of spots when it came to her career. When she was a part of Destiny’s Child, she was often overshadowed by Beyonce. Her solo albums received nowhere near the amount of success as her former bandmate. And she had been without a label’s backing for over a year before she inked with Universal Motown. We think the time has come for Kelly to shine, and here’s why:
1. Her talent is underrated – Kelly’s voice is a-ma-zing. When she was a part of Destiny’s Child, she didn’t get the opportunity to showcase her singing chops much (although she did sing two verses on the popular “Bootylicious” track). Once she went solo, what was always known became clearly apparent- Kelly can blow!
2. Her sense of fashion is undeniable – Kelly has remained in the spotlight, and sometimes it has simply been for her chic and classy style. She’s usually a front-row fixture at NY Fashion Week, and she even co-hosted the first season of Bravo’s Fashion Show alongside fashion icon, Issac Mizrahi.
3. Her down-to-earth attitude is unmatched – If you’ve ever listened to an interview with Kelly, or watched her on the red carpet, she’s always graceful and poised and she seems like one of the most humble of celebrities.
4. Her philanthropy is unnoticed – Kelly launched a non-profit charity, I Heart My Girlfriends, earlier this year. The foundation’s goal is to build self-esteem and empowerment among teenage girls as well as serve as an interactive support system. She also serves as an ambassador for MTV’s Staying Alive Foundation, which seeks to reduce discrimination against those affected by HIV and AIDS.
5. To show the world she’s unintimidated – She’s not going anywhere, and we want her to fearlessly show this at her new label, and in her next album. (And of course, we’d love to see her give the almighty Beyonce a run for her money!)
—— By: Crystal Tate