Update: Promoter Says Prince Not Suing Fans, Just Protecting Image

Pop/R&B star Prince is not out to sue his fans, according to his concert promotion company, he just wants to stop websites from illegally using his images. Last week, lawyers for the singer issued cease-and-desist letters to a host of fan websites and called for the removal of images and artwork inspired by the pop music icon. AEG, which promoted Prince’s concert series in London, issued a statement Friday saying that Prince does not want to inhibit free speech. “The action taken earlier this week was not to shut down fansites, or control comment in any way,” the statement read. “The issue was simply to do with in regards to copyright and trademark of images and only images and no lawsuits have been filed.” Prince’s lawyers are in talks with three websites that published copyrighted images and live photos from his London concerts, according to AEG. The promoter said the artist wants to stop sites “exploiting copyrighted material for their commercial gain.” One website, Pirate Bay, was mentioned as in violation of copyright. However, Prince will still be offering some material free to fans online, AEG said.

Singersroom

Since 2005, Singersroom has been the voice of R&B around the world. Connect with us via social media below.

View all posts by Singersroom →