Connect with us

‘Smash’ Heads To Cancellation, Even With Jennifer Hudson Arc?

Hollywood/TV/Reality TV

‘Smash’ Heads To Cancellation, Even With Jennifer Hudson Arc?

It appears that casting Jennifer Hudson for the latest season of NBC's "Smash" has failed to garner enough interest to keep the once "hit" series afloat.

Following news that NBC is opting to move "Smash" from Tuesday to Saturday nights, executive producer Josh Safran says he didn't see the series wrapping up this way.

"I didn’t see it coming, being relegated to Saturday. We’re all aware the show is not successful, but I guess I had hoped we would see what happened when ‘The Voice’ came back [or] maybe they’d move us to a better time slot. But I understand from the network’s point of view. We hit a number and we stuck there," he shared Friday.

Despite what appears to be a move towards cancellation, Safran wants viewers to remain tuned in for the rest of the season, even if that means tuning in Saturday nights at 9 p.m.

"I don’t want [viewers] to think they are going to be left hanging, because they won’t be. The season has a beginning, middle and an end. … [And] it just gets better and better," he told TV Line.

As widely reported, "Smash" returned for a second season with less than stellar ratings and has pulled in less than 3 million viewers an episode in recent weeks. Earlier this Spring, the season was heavily promoted with Jennifer Hudson's character highlighted in a seeming bid to draw more attention to the series.

Do you watch "Smash"?

Around The Web

Click to comment

More in Hollywood/TV/Reality TV

To Top