Both Taylor Swift and Adele led the winners with three awards each. Adele won Favorite Pop Female Artist, Favorite Pop Album, and Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist though she was not present to accept her awards.
Following behind was Nicki Minaj, with two wins herself. However, it was winning Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album for ‘Pink Friday’ that truly brought the Barbie doll to tears.
"This one can actually make me cry. I can't believe this is happening ... just chase your dreams," Minaj said in her acceptance speech. "Shout out to all the female rappers, past, present and future."
Rihanna and Beyonce both won one award each though they were not in L.A. to receive their trophy. This didn’t stop them from still thanking their fans for the support.
After winning Favorite Soul/R&B Album for ‘Loud,’ Rihanna proceeded to thank her fans in a prerecorded video from overseas. "This means a lot to me. I love you guys. Thanks to all my fans,” she said with smiles.
On the other side of the United States, Beyoncé chimed in from NYC to give her acceptance speech for winning Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist. "AMAs thank you very, very much. I'm so excited about this award because it was voted by all of my fans, and I have the best fans in the world. Actually, you're the only people I want to thank,” Beyonce told her fans.
Taking home the award for Favorite Latin Music Artist was Jennifer Lopez, who rocked out on stage alongside Pitbull and Will.i.Am. "I'm shaking," she said. "I didn't expect to win. It's been a really amazing year in so many ways. It's been up and down. It's been exciting and overwhelming. I'm just grateful for all my blessings."
Holding it down for the fellas was Usher who won for Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist, and Bruno Mars who won Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist. "I want to thank the fans," Mars said. "You all mean everything to me. I want to say hi to my family at home in Hawaii."
Amongst all the performances, Chris Brown managed to standout with his short medley of the ballad “All Back” before transitioning into “Say It With Me.” The Queen of Hip-Hop Soul, Mary J. Blige, also held her ground and gave a soulful rendition of her song “Mr. Wrong” as she got her two-step on.
Full Winner's List:
- Artist of the Year: Taylor Swift
- Sprint New Artist of the Year: Hot Chelle Rae
- Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist: Bruno Mars
- Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist: Adele
- Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group: Maroon 5
- Favorite Pop/Rock Album: "21" - Adele
- Favorite Country Male Artist: Blake Shelton
- Favorite Country Female Artist: Taylor Swift
- Favorite Country band/Duo/Group: Lady Antebellum
- Favorite Country Album: "Speak Now" - Taylor Swift
- Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist: Usher
- Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist: Beyonce Knowles
- Favorite Soul/R&B Album: "Loud" - Rihanna
- Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist: Nicki Minaj
- Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album: "Pink Friday" - Nicki Minaj
- Favorite Alternative Artist: Foo Fighters
- Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist: Adele
- Favorite Latin Artist: Jennifer Lopez
- Favorite Contemporary Inspirational Artist: Casting Crowns
- Special Achievement Award: Katy Perry