Connect with us

Toxicology Report Says Amy Winehouse Died from Alcohol Poisoning

News

Toxicology Report Says Amy Winehouse Died from Alcohol Poisoning

According to toxicology reports released back in August, it was confirmed that illegal drugs did not play a role in the sudden death of Amy Winehouse back in July. However, that does not mean that drug abuse had no role in her passing. It has been confirmed that the “Rehab” singer died from alcohol poisoning after a drinking binge that followed a period of abstinence.

Based on the reports, the Grammy-winning star had more than five times the legal drink-drive limit in her system, with enough alcohol to make her comatose and weaken her respiratory system.

It has been no secret that Winehouse had been battling a drinking problem after freeing herself from a drug habit in 2008. She eventually fell into a pattern of abstaining from alcohol for a few weeks before relapsing.

Winehouse had abstained from alcohol since July 3rd, but relapsed on July 20th, three days before her sudden death. However, those close to her say that she was merely just tipsy and not over-drinking. Her doctor even confirmed that the singer made “tremendous” efforts to stop drinking and to focus on “how to make positive changes in her life.” Winehouse’s bodyguard Andrew Morris also confirmed that Amy drank moderately in the few days before her death. “She didn’t over-drink. She wasn’t drinking to get drunk,” explained Morris.

On July 23rd at 10am, Morris checked in on Winehouse, whom he assumed was still asleep. “She was lying on her bed. I didn’t try to speak to her,” he said. “I called her, knocked on the door, opened it and she was on the bed. I thought she was sleeping because she had been up late into the night. It was usual for her to sleep late into the morning.”

Later on in the afternoon around 3pm, Morris checked in on her again. “When I went into her room she was lying on the bed in the same position I left her when I looked at her at 10am. I became immediately concerned. I went over to her to check if she was OK. When I checked her, I realized she wasn’t breathing, and there was no pulse.” After that, he immediately called for help.

Based on the findings by home office pathologist Professor Suhail Baithun, a detailed examination of Winehouse’s body had not led to an immediate cause of death. Her liver was normal, and her lungs were slightly congested, but nothing that indicated cause of death.

Nevertheless, Winehouse’s family are content knowing what had happened to their beloved Amy. “It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy. We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away; it is likely a build-up of alcohol in her system over a number of days,” says the statement released by her family.

“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol, and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence.

“It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name. It means a lot to us, and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world. We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the foundation.”

Around The Web

Click to comment

More in News

To Top